Thursday, November 11, 2010

Koh Lanta seeping in...

Ahhhh...nothing like sunshine to feed and nourish the soul! I was wakened this morning by mothers nature's most beautiful alarm clock (the birds) as they conversed about their plans for the day. I wandered out from my bungalow and was immersed in the most breathtaking scene i have witnessed in along time; so breathtaking indeed that i sat in the hammock (outside my door) for almost an hour just relishing in the beauty this world provides. The sun was brightly shining, the sea perfectly periwinkle and glistening, and the ocean gently humming a sweet sound of relaxation.
I eventually realized I would need to move at some point today, and so I ventured to the open air restaurant here at Baan Phu Lae where I was gifted the most amazing papaya salad and fresh cup of cofffee. There's really nothing quite like eating breakfast on the beach. I highly recommend it. And so my day has been limited in physical activity (though my tan is coming along quite nicely, if I do say so) but not in mindful rumination. I am slowly realizing that if you don't sometimes take the moments to be alone, to feel isolation w/in yourself, you can never really fully appreciate and completely experience all that is around and in you each and everyday. And today, as I was contemplating this more, I was also (by no freak coincidence, I believe), strikingly taught by one of the locals here about the 4th level of human consciousness called turiya. I myself am fairly certain I will never reach this place (takes an incredible amount of diligent mindfullness and meditation, though I found the basis and meaning of it resonated deeply in me. It seems to me, that so often us Westerners search for happiness everywhere (in malls, in relationships, in self-help books, drugs, alcohol, unaware that in fact it resides right inside ourselves already. The catch comes in claiming it. Turiya is the state you reach when you leave the busy commotion of the mind, abandon the desires of our ego, and allow ourselves to enter (and sit) in the silence of the heart. A beautiful and powerful notion that, like me, I'll allow you sit on for awhile.
Until another (hopefully sunny) day!
Peace,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment