Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bangkok and beyond

Ok folks... So maybe it took me an hour or so to figure out how to get into my account in English, but it's not like I don't have hours to kill before I catch a 12 hr bus to Krabi tonight. I should be arriving in Krabi around 8 am tomorrow (11/10) morning and from there will catch the passenger ferry to Koh Lanta @ around 9am. It looks like I'm in for a couple of rainy days but hey, I'll take it over the snow and ice pounding vt right now.

It's 4:15pm on 11/9 here in Bangkok and the clouds have just begun to roll in. I spent my last day here exploring the Golden Mountain and climbing all 300 steps (finally some exercise!). The top provided incredibly rewarding views of the entire city, albeit bustling under a dense cloud of smog and fog (never can tell which is which). Wat Saket Rajavaramahavihara is a peaceful temple where the Buddha's relics have been placed and prayer is a daily occurence here for many Thai. And while this temple was again, like many others, nothing short of breathtaking, I believe my greatest feat in today's journey was successfully arguing my way (in Thai mind you)out if being (almost) ripped off my a tuk-tuk (pronounced touk touk). That's right, I may be an American female that's looks easy to take advantage i
of, but this gal learns quick so...yeah...that's right. Clearly my "tough guise" needs some fine-tuning.

The past couple of days here have brought endless stories and experiences. From arriving in Bangkok @ 1am (not recommended), to venturing through the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha, to getting thrown off the bus after dark (alert!) and being lost in a neighborhood where no one spoke a lick of English (sorry mom and sad, I held back on mentioning this one to you), it's been on heck of a ride already. So tonight I say "see you later" (never goodbye) tithe REAL city that never sleeps (the stereo wars here are particularly incredible on KhaoSahn Rd) and I venture towards the island of Koh Lanta. My mind feels more sound each day, my heart more honest, and spirit more humble. So I say " korp khun ka" to all the amazing Thai people that have assisted and welcomed me with open arms these past couple days, and I turn to all of you just waking and say "ah-gaht dee na" (what a beautiful day)!

P.s. This was written from my iPhone so please excuse any "big finger" typos and try to stumble through it as best you can.
San-di-pahp(peace),
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment